Note: This problem was fixed in version 3.1. I left this information here in case it should still happen to someone by some chance. Incidentally, I have seen this problem in other applications as well. The cause is usually the same, but the repair method may differ depending on the application.
When Name Dropper closes, it saves the current window position to the registry. This problem can arise if the Name Dropper window is closed while minimized. This results in invalid coordinates being saved to the registry, and causes the window to not be visible the next time it is run. This problem can occur in versions 2.3 - 3.0, and will be fixed in 3.1 and higher.
Solution: This solution involves editing the Windows Registry. Although this is safe to do if you follow the directions below, it is recommended that double-check to make sure you are in the correct spot (as detailed below). Before trying this solution, be sure that Name Dropper is not running. If you are not sure, reboot the computer before continuing.
- Click START, then click 'RUN...'. Type regedit into the box and click OK.
- Once in the Registry Editor, look at the left pane. You should see an item called 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'. If it is not visible, double-click 'My Computer' first. Double-click on 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'.
- Browse to the item called 'Software' and double-click it.
- Browse to the item called 'CognitialSoftware' and double-click it.
- Browse to the item called 'NameDrop' and single-click it.
- To confirm that you are in the correct place, be sure that the following is shown at the bottom of the Registry Editor window:My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CognitialSoftware\NameDrop
- In the right pane, look for the items called 'Window Left' and 'Window Top'. These contain the coordinates for the Name Dropper window on your screen.
- Double-click 'Window Left', and change the Value Data to 0. (That's a zero). Click OK.
- Double-click 'Window Top', and change the Value Data to 0. (That's a zero). Click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, and try running Name Dropper. Your problem should now be fixed.